Este post también está disponible en español: SHIRODHARA
Today I experienced for the first time the Shirodhara therapy and you have no idea the deep relaxation I felt! Gradually I fell asleep and even dreamed twice! The treatment lasted 45 minutes plus 15 minutes of head massage. After those minutes I felt like I had woken up after a good sleep and revitalized. Some people say that the feeling during the Shirodhara is similar to what occurs during deep meditation. I really felt relaxed and of course I recommend it!
But what is Shirodhara?…….. Shirodhara is an ancient Ayurvedic healing practice performed in India for over 5,000 years. The word shirodhara breaks down into two ideas: “shiro,” meaning head, and “dhara,” which means flow. Together they form a concept that aims to bring physical and emotional balance by rejuvenating the spirit and preserving health. This is achieved through a relaxing technique in which warmed oil is poured over a client’s forehead for an extended period of time.
Shirodhara works primarily on the mental sheath or “manomaya kosha” as it is referred to in Ayurveda. Shirodhara is traditionally used to calm the nerves, harmonize vata constitutions, restore the nerves, release stored emotions, and purify the mind. In Ayurvedic Medicine, it is considered an important tool in the pursuit of higher states of consciousness. Shirodhara has been traditionally shown to help with fatigue, mental exhaustion, anxiety, insomnia, some mental disorders, headache, excessive thinking, nervousness, and many other conditions commonly affecting persons in today’s active lifestyle.
Benifits of Shirodhara:
Regular shirodhara enhances blood circulation to the brain, improves memory, nourishes hair and scalp, assists in providing sound sleep and calms the body and mind. Shirodhara is one of the most effective treatments for reducing stress and nervous tension.
- Beneficial for many diseases connected with the head, neck, eyes, ears, nose and throat
- Beneficial for many diseases of the nervous system like nerve disorders, facial palsy, paralysis and ptosis (drooping) of the eyelids.
- Beneficial for curing long standing insomnia and schizophrenia
- Beneficial for fits in epilepsy when used in conjunction with other medicines
- Prevents hair lose, premature graying and cracking of hair
- Relieves headache and burning sensation of the head
- Nourishes and rejuvenates the body
- Stimulates the nervous system giving sturdiness to the body
- Improves digestion
- Sharpens the sense organs
- Improves the quality of voice
- Gives strength to the neck and head
- Improves the health of the skin
- Cools the body and relieves pain.
- Invigorates the body and mind and stimulate cognitive memories
- Helps relieve fatigue, tension, anxiety, anger, chronic headaches, rheumatism, hypertension, asthma, hair problems and stress
- Disperses negative electrical impulses that accumulate at the skull and hairline from stress.
- Renews the sweetness of life
- Rejuvenates the entire face and softens worry lines
- Opens the third eye of lord Shiva by this therapeutic Marma based head massage
- Activates the pituitary gland
- Increases spiritual awareness
- Regulates mood and depression disorders
- Activates the memory & stimulates the 6 & 7th charka which regulates our breathing patterns.
- Increases intuition
- It improves concentration, intelligence, confidence and self-esteem
If you live in Brisbane@Australia you can find this treatment here: http://www.back2health.net.au